[GNOME-India] Why, what, how and whom of GNOME Marketing

Hi,

The GNOME marketing lists have been initiated with a specific
objective as stated by Jeff Waugh. However, through this list, I
propose to initiate a discussion that would, I hope, make our aims and
vision more focussed and specific.

The mandate for the various GNOME-<country-name> lists are a 'Regional
Marketing List for GNOME'. Question thus remains is :

[1] What do we market ?
[2] Whom do we market too ?
[3] Why do people want to stick with/shift to GNOME ? (ie who are our
loyal fans ?)
[4] How do we get people to take a peek at GNOME ?

GNOME development (and here I mean the entire GNOME Toolsuite) takes
place with an optimal interaction of industry & community. So what is
the positioning of the GNOME-<country-name> lists ? Or in other words
do they represent the entire GNOME community for that country as a
spokesperson for the industry-community consortia ? Or are they just a
formal platform where marketing geeks can talk. 'Marketing geeks' are
a paradox and perhaps as rare as the giant panda - but they are still
around.

I have been tracking a few GNOME-<country-name> lists of late and
surprisingly core marketing activities seem to be missing on them.
Perhaps this is because of the natural question # [1] or perhaps # [2]
is not properly discussed. The prime causal agent in my opinion is the
lack of interaction and synthesis between industry and community.
Added to some extent by a lack of vision document from the GNOME
Foundation Board.

Take India for example, GNOME development takes place in
Novell-Ximian, Wipro & Dell labs as well as with the L10n efforts. So
what do we market ? And more importantly what does the parent GNOME
body want us to 'sell' and to whom ? How do we ensure that these lab
developments (or news/benefits thereof) at Wipro, Novell, Dell are
upstream fed to the community as a whole ?

How does it happen globally ? Or are we still looking for a model ?

I am really interested to have answers to all these - I feel that
perhaps in the Indian context we just need to re-invent  ourselves to
gather a lot of interest.

Looking forward to insights and inputs

Have a wonderful day
Warm regards