Re: GNOME Welsh translation team

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 10:54 PM Diogyn via gnome-i18n
<gnome-i18n gnome org> wrote:
I'm looking to contribute to the Welsh translation of GNOME.

A team exists and I've reached out to the coordinator, however it appears to be inactive: hardly any
translations uploaded in the past few years (none committed I don't think), no committers or reviewers, the
team's webpage hasn't existed in over a decade, etc.

I've also searched through the gnome-i18n archives and the last reference I can find to the Welsh team was
in August 2010, which also flagged the team's inactivity. The coordinator back then seemed happy to hand
over, but it doesn't look like anything happened (though do let me know if I am wrong!)

I'm keen to submit translations however want to make sure that they actually get committed. I'd be happy to
take on coordinating if possible - grateful for advice on how to proceed.

Thanks for reaching out to us and sorry it took us so long to get back
to you. I’m CCing the current Welsh team coordinator to ensure they
are aware of this. Let’s give them an opportunity to confirm they are
happy with you taking over. If we don’t hear back from them in
reasonable amount of time, we’ll simply make you the new coordinator.
Let’s say in a month.

Christopher (CCed as well) also expressed interest in reviving the
team, as Zander pointed out. I think it’s great that we have two
active people arriving at around the same time. Until the hand over, I
suggest you start not only translating more modules (I see you both
only have done one so far), but also reviewing each other’s work, and
maybe coming up with common rules that you’ll follow, such as
vocabulary choice, as sometimes a single word can be translated many
ways and consistency is important.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Happy translating,

--