Re: Does Translation auto merge between default, stable, old stable releases?

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 10:34 AM Yuri Chornoivan via gnome-i18n <gnome-
i18n gnome org> wrote:
субота, 29 травня 2021 р. 11:24:46 EEST Alexandre Franke написано:
On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 7:17 PM Yuri Chornoivan via gnome-i18n <

gnome-i18n gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

There is a huge problem with old branches in whole GNOME. You can have the

master branch translated but the actual package can contain some old
stable
branch (say 3.22) that you cannot see from the main team page. If you do
not
know where to find the _actual_ branch it becomes a real PITA for the
users.

How is this a problem exactly? Old branches are most probably not going to
see a release and translations brought to them would then never reach the
user. *That* would indeed be wasted work. On the rare occasion where you
know that a given old branch will have a release, you can still find it, as
you pointed out.

That's it. No releases, no new translations, no updates. Translation of
master
is a waste of time (?).

No releases for old branches (like 3.22, which was your example).

Work should be done on the current stable branch + master. Always. It’s
working on old releases that is a waste of time.

Translations and Damned lies are not a completionist game where the goal
is
to have 100%, even on past releases. Old releases may not be fully
translated, and that is fine.

"If you didn't come to party, then why did you come here?" (Jarvis Cocker)

That's too bad. I've tried to complete GNOME translations (master and
"stable"
branches) through almost 1.5 years but just a quick glance on LP shows the
discrepancy for the "old good applications" with "stable" branch with no new
releases. With no regular release system (like KDE releases), translating
these GNOME applications is just a waste of time.

What are you talking about? I said that working on **anything else than
master+stable** was a waste of time. We do have regular releases, please don’t
make such statements if you don’t know what you are talking about. See
https://wiki.gnome.org/FortyOne for the current cycle.

Please calm down a bit.

We have witnessed at least several cases of the "blast from the past" since
GNOME 40 release when the translations from "master" were suddenly replaced by
the translations from the "old old stable" (these translations were actually
used in the release). Those translations have not been shown on the main page
until the "hidden" stable branch were created. It's a matter of fact.

Best regards,
Yuri