Re: [bn-IN] Reincarnate Bengali (India) Translation Team

On 2020-07-28 07:54, Akarshan Biswas via gnome-i18n wrote:
I want to bring to your notice that the current translation team of
Bengali (India) is not active and hence not responding to any of the
submissions/messages. Because of that there are lot of fuzzy,
wrongly translated strings which awaits to be corrected from the last
4 years. I have tried opening a bug report
(https://gitlab.gnome.org/Teams/Translation/bn_IN/-/issues/1) 10
months ago but did not receive any response whatsoever.

This request makes me wonder about the organization of the Bangla/Bengali translation of Linux. I see three "languages" at <https://l10n.gnome.org/languages/>: bn, bn_BD and bn_IN.

Most languages which are spoken in multiple countries have one common translation team. Does Bangla/Bengali have such distinct dialects in Bangladesh respective India which motivate separate translation teams? Or would there be room for 'merging' the teams?

A user with a bn_BD locale won't benefit from bn_IN translations and vice versa. So besides using the translator resources more efficiently, merging the teams into a 'bn' team would be good also from a user experience POV.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj