Re: Translation updates through gitlab?

Hi Daniel!

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 10:23 AM Daniel Mustieles García <daniel mustieles gmail com> wrote:
Hi Jehan,

There are several teams that don't use Damned Lies' workflow, relying it on malining list, for example, so using MRs is an option.

But you cannot forget about DL at all because PO file in your repository are not valid for translation. I mean, those PO files are static, they are not automatically updated with new strings added to source code. That's part of the magic of Damned Lies :-)

The PO file you download from DL is not a direct link to PO file in git: i'ts generated using some tools that read POTFILES and other files and extract translatable strings to generate an up-to-date PO file. Of course you can do that process manually, but maybe it makes no sense to duplicate efforts.

Indeed didn't really think about this. That makes sense that people would prefer to stick with Damned Lies.

Another question is: who will review those translations? You should encourage every translation team to use that new workflow, and opening that door can be "dangerous": most of the coordinators won't accept modifying their workflow, because it simply works. Having two ways to receive/review translations (gitlab's MR and DL) can be a pain for those who have to review and approve them. And you should speak several languages to be able to review all of them ;-)

Also note that every team has it's own rules: usually there is a team coordinator that approves commiting translations into git. "Plain" translators usually not have that power, so accepting translations directly from translators might cause problems in the translation team.

Just my 2 cents, maybe other people have a different idea, and it's of course acceptable.

No I think you are right. I just stuck my nose where it should not have been.
Actually even when I was writing my initial email, I was thinking it was a bit stupid because if the translator was not responding to messages, even if we did review by gitlab, review would have failed just as well (even more in Gitlab which really sucks for quick review/fixes as you cannot easily amend patches yourseles; often we regret good old patches reviewed directly in the terminal so we actually regularly bypass the system).

Anyway that was just a little brainstorm wish because I was a bit sad to waste translations this way. But actually I'm not sure there is any real way out of the waste here as it all boils down to a contributor dropping patches without proper follow up.

Jehan

Regards.