Re: Easier translation interface is needed

Il giorno gio 4 lug 2019 alle 8:39, Claude Paroz <claude 2xlibre net> ha scritto:
Le 03.07.19 à 15:02, Nikoloz Geldiashvili via gnome-i18n a écrit :
For communities to complete translations to other languages more quickly
 and easily, it would be much more effective to have survey like web
based (in browser) translating app, rather than file download and upload method. I mean interface, like Google's Crowdsource translation app has.

Hi Nikoloz,

This discussion comes regularly and in general the conclusions are that both ways have pros and cons. So for the moment we will keep the method
by file, as it would be a huge work to convert to a Web-based platform
while keeping all the customizations we have programmed during the years
for the GNOME translations.

Claude, there's no _user_ manual for Damned Lies, right?
I think it would be very useful, as some features are kind of hidden and I "discovered" them only when experienced translators explained them to me. For example, if I remember correctly:

- If you submit a PO file and the POT file has been updated since you downloaded the PO file, you'll see if your uploaded version is not complete (the statistics strings/fuzzy/untranslated close to the .merged.po file, see this¹) and you can download a file with the new strings merged in your last translation. - If you work on a PO file from a release branch of a project, you can submit the same file also to other branches (such as master), then get a new file with the merged differences and work on the remaining strings for that branch. So there's no need to copy&paste if you want to manage translations of different branches. It's the same concept as above but in a different context.

The wiki says that Damned Lies "offers a review workflow with different roles (translator, reviewer, committer and administrator)". To me this is limited only to comments. There's no real review tool, as in Gitlab: I cannot comment the diff line by line. Recently I made a detailed review in a comment and the translator was lost as he could not find some strings I was talking about. The same translator recently proposed to reviewers a good suggestion I've never thought before: instead of listing the changes in a comment, make the changes in the PO file and upload it, so the translator can see the differences in Damned Lies and use that file to decide what to accept or refuse. Much easier indeed.

So not only hidden features, you see, but also best workflows to be discussed and shared.

I'd like to contribute to a user manual or user wiki, especially if someone else more experienced than me can review and help.

¹ https://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/fractal/master/po/it/