Re: GIMP 2.10 branched off

Hi!

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Hannie Dumoleyn <lafeber-dumoleyn2 zonnet nl> wrote:
Hello,
As coordinator of the Gnome Dutch translation team I have a question on where to translate.
At this moment one of our translators is working on the Dutch translation here: [1].
I (wrongly?) advised him to work here [1] instead of [2].

Indeed it is better to work on the gimp-2-10 branch [2]. It is not "wrong" to work on current master, but let's say it is a very very moving target as we are at the beginning, so a lot of things disappear, or are replaced in day-to-day basis.

So the problem is rather than working on master, you may see your hard work go to waste in an instant.

Can I merge nl.po master with nl.po 2.10 using msgmerge and upload the result to [2]? Or would it be better to copy (upload) /master/po/nl directly to 2-10?

Well you'd know better than us. But from what I think to know, the right way would be merging, wouldn't it? This way, you'd keep every string which are present in both master and gimp-2-10. If you just copy from master to 2-10, you may lose work which was already in master, and not in 2-10 (if any).

Will there be regular updates of the language packs in the distro's based on Gnome?

No idea. I guess it depends on the distribution and its release rules. You'd have to ask to the distribution themselves (or the packagers in these distribs), not us. We don't control this and don't know much.

Have fun and thanks!

Jehan

[1] https://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/gimp/master/po/nl
[2] https://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/gimp/gimp-2-10/po/nl