Re: Is any translator team using glossaries?

Þann mán 30.apr 2018 20:41, skrifaði Rudolfs Mazurs:
pirmd., 2018. g. 30. apr., plkst. 03:41 — lietotājs Rafael Fontenelle (<
rafaelff gnome org>) rakstīja:

Well, I didn't know this glossary. Since I needed to build a glossary
to ease the translation work, I started to use a script I maintain
[1], based on a contribution by Daniel Mustieles, to download PO files
of my language and create a local repository of translated fiels,
which can easily searched with 'grep' or 'gtgrep' (from pyg3t).

Currently I use a similar approach: I use lokalize tool to create
translation memory and use it to search how strings are translated
currently. Alas, this does not replace proper glossary, since translation
memory tend to have errors and glossaries can be used more efficiently by
lokalize tool.

IMHO there's a big difference between a translation memory (TM) and a glossary. And TM's are different too: Lokalize has statistically defined TM's in databases, where some other CAT-tools use segment-based approach (e.g. OmegaT). The first approach is perhaps better suited for UI-translations, while the latter may be more effective for longer texts like documentation.

(I still miss the old KBabel (precursor of Lokalize), where I could tune how close TM-matches should be, the number of letters in similar words, tight integration of many common tools, etc. and which had a bunch of validation tools for PO-files. But had its limitations too...)

The use of a glossary is perhaps more related to spellchecking and grammar; it would be really nice if CAT-tools like Lokalize and PO-edit could underline texts (perhaps in blue) for which there are suggestions from a glossary (similar to the red underlining from a spellchecker).

Anyway, entries in glossaries are mostly for reference/coordination and should be treated as such, in the end it's the translators choice how he styles the message to get the meaning across, right?

Best regards,
Sveinn í Felli