Application to Take Over as zh_CN Team Coordinator

Hi all,

The current coordinator of the zh_CN team, Aron Xu (https://l10n.gnome.org/users/cnfavor/) has failed to coordinate or to actively commit reviewed translation, since almost two years ago. Though some other contributors and I have been able to reach Aron, he has only stated to commit the changes when he's available - and the translations have rarely been committed since 3.24. This is evident if you would take a look at the declining percentage of translated strings over the releases (https://l10n.gnome.org/teams/zh_CN/), and the large amount of stale "To Commit" markers, as seen in the 3.28 status page (https://l10n.gnome.org/languages/zh_CN/gnome-3-28/ui/).

Our committer, similarly, had failed to fulfill their task, as suggested with the references above. In particular, the commiter YunQiang Su, similarly, we were able to get in contact with, but have failed to commit much changes at all.

To make the matters worse, obvious mistakes still exist in our zh_CN translations shipped with current versions of GNOME Applications. To name a few...

1. In nmtui (NetworkManager's ncurses UI), the phrase “无线网络” (wireless network) has been typo'd to “无效网络” (invalid network) - an easy mistake to make when typing with Pinyin, as one could type only the first syllable to get a list of marching characters. This is yet to be committed upstream. (https://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/NetworkManager/master/po/zh_CN)
2. In GNOME Tweaks, the word "Tweaks" has been typed as "Teaks". This, due to the "To Commit" marker, no fixes could be applied, nor were the prior translation committed by those supposed to do the work. (https://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/gnome-tweaks/master/po/zh_CN)

Therefore, I'm writing to apply and replace the unresponsive (or I should venture to say, irresponsible) coordinator and committer. I have been making contributions to the GNOME zh_CN translation since at least 2015, and I with the not-so-little amount of contributions made - not to mention contributions to non-GNOME projects like WineHQ, MATE, and FreeDesktop.org - I do believe that I have the necessary skill to review, commit, and coordinate a translation team. It is also because of the contributions I have made personally, and those made by my colleagues at the team - that I find it necessary to locate a more responsive peer for this task, again, the zh_CN localisation progress has been regressing since 3.24, and this should not happen for much longer.

Please consider this request and make personnel changes as applicable, thank you.

Best Regards,
Mingcong Bai