Re: [dconf-editor] cleaning of translations, 2nd approach

Hi,

Hello everybody! As you already know, I’m trying these days to improve
the content of the “po” directory in the “dconf-editor” module I
maintain. I must start by thanking again everybody for the work done
there, it’s impressive, really! But my concerns are of course not
about the work that is done, as I only speak a small small part of the
languages that are present. :·)

Some translation teams have too few people (sometimes only one person)
to translate every GNOME software at every release, and there are
clearly some applications that should be translated before Dconf
Editor. :·) So there are translations that are not updated regularly,
and some of them are not updated at all –these two cases are somewhat
different. As a result:
 – there are strings not used anymore that have a translation, takes
place but usually not a big deal;
 – there are strings that have since been edited in English but that
have a translation, here that means that there’s work done that isn’t
displayed;
 – it’s quite impossible to use a tool like `grep` globally on
translations to check for typos, as there are unused strings that
makes the output unreadable.
That’s notably important in this module, that is quite old and has
seen multiple states in its UI and strings history.

As a first step for a global improvement of the translations, to see a
little better what’s translated and what is not, I’d like to remove
all the untranslated strings present in the po files, mostly files
that hasn’t been edited for a while. That’d be a “25 files changed,
19347 deletions(-)” diff, that wouldn’t change anything in the result
I think (apart a 3.3% reduction of the tarball file), but that would
notably improve grepping.

Changing the subject to something purely practical: Pruning/cleaning
the po-files can probably be fully scripted, so there would be no harm
in committing a script somewhere which does this, then sending bug
reports to translation teams without actually committing the cleaned
po files.

FWIW The changes to Danish (da) do not need to be reverted, although
they would have been overwritten if we had updated the translation at
a different moment.

Best regards
Ask

Do you see any technical problem with that that I’d have neglected?
Would you agree on me doing that, teams concerned and other teams?
(Are concerned directly the po files: an, ar, as, be, bn_IN, bs, eo,
et, fa, hi, is, ja, mr, pa, ro, ru, ta, te, tg, th, ug, uk, vi,
zh_HK.) Would some people prefer that I contact every team
independently? Other reactions, opinions?

Cheers,
Arnaud

--
Arnaud Bonatti