Re: Date Format with month names in genitive case - your opinions?

21.01.2018 08:58 Hannie Dumoleyn <lafeber-dumoleyn2 zonnet nl> wrote:

Hello Rafal,
Although I do not see Dutch in your list, I was just curious what you
mean by genitive and nominative case when speaking of month names.

TL;DR: AFAIK Dutch language is not affected, nothing will be changed.

A longer explanation: sorry for this confusion, instead of "genitive"
and "nominative" I should use the long description: "the month name
in the grammatical form required when the month is used as part
of a complete date" and "the month name in the form required when
the month is named by itself". Some languages do not have declension
and no nominative and genitive case, some languages do have the
genitive case but do not use it when formatting a date, some languages
have very simple system and the genitive case is created by adding
a simple preposition ("de" in Spanish, is it "van" in Dutch?) or
a simple suffix ("ta" in Finnish), always looking the same. In those
languages the new feature is not needed.

could
you please give some examples?

Upper Sorbian: January - "januar", but January 21st - "21 januara"
Polish: "styczeń", but "21 stycznia"
Czech: "leden" but "21 ledna" (it must be verified if they really
need this)
Croatian: "siječanj" but "21 siječnja".

Catalan: "gener", but "21 de gener" - that looks easy but compare
with: April: "abril" but "21 d’abril" - impossible to handle with
the current system.

Finnish: "tammikuu" - but "21 tammikuuta" (always "ta" appended,
this system is easy and they don't need this new feature).

I have forwarded this email to ubuntu-translators.

Thank you, I have never been involved in Ubuntu so didn't think
about it. This can be very helpful.

Regards,

Rafal