Re: Updated month name translations needed in GLib

21.02.2018 12:49 Philip Withnall <withnall endlessm com> wrote:

Hi all,

(I’m not subscribed to the list, so please CC me in replies.)

As discussed previously[1], nominative/genitive month name support has
come to GLib. We’ve got a few unit tests which depend on translations
existing for the new month name strings[2] which are currently broken
due to the new strings being missing in the following locales:
• fr_FR
• el_GR
• hr_HR
• lt_LT
• ru_RU

There’s also this bug[3] which requires the same updates in ja_JP.

To be honest, all translations need an update. There is nothing special
with the locales you mentioned above except that they have been used
in the tests. Have we got any superpower to update all translations
adding the missing (genitive) month names as the copy of the existing
(nominative) month names? I am aware that some teams have been inactive
and the translations have not been updated for years. In 90% of the
cases copy&paste the existing month names is the correct solution.

Could the translation teams please prioritise updating the month name
strings in GLib? Both for the sake of making the tests pass, and for
making sure users in your locale get correctly-translated month names.
In locales with no nominative/genitive difference, you still need to
update the translations to avoid the C-locale string being used in the
new context.

For many languages, this will be a case of copying the existing strings
from one context to the other, unchanged. Those languages which have a
difference between nominative and genitive forms will have to be a bit
more careful. Typically, the strings should be the same as the output
of `locale mon` on a system running the latest glibc release.

If anybody has any questions about the translations, let me or Rafal
know.

Thanks!
Philip

That's perfectly correct. Thank you Philip for coordinating this task
so accurately.

Regards,

Rafal