Re: Position of "latin" items in lists in RTL-locale contexts

tis 2017-05-16 klockan 00:30 +0430 skrev mousavi arash gmail com:
On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Marcus Lundblad <ml update uu se>
wrote:

I guess this could be achieved by inserting Unicode directional
override characters in the beginning of the string and at each
breaking
arrow to get the right rendering direction.

Does this make sense to someone knowledgeable in RTL writing
systems?

Hi Marcus,

I just checked and putting a RLM[1] character when both or one of the
places are written with RTL characters works fine. However when both
are in latin, the arrow looks reverse since the direction is actually
not changed. So my suggestion is to use the ltr arrow when both
places
are in latin and rtl when one of them are in RTL. Other solution
would
be to place each part separately and force their direction. Something
like <span> and float in HTML and CSS, so each place and the arrow
would be in their own container and you don't rely on the free text
and RLM character.

Best Wishes,
Arash

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-left_mark

Hi!

Thanks for your answer Arash!
I attached a patch to the aforementioned bug which I think should do
achieve the goal (embedding each component with the RLM or LRM
depending on the locale). From some quick testing it kinda looks right
to me. But it would be great with more testing (I might very well be
missing something obvious here).

//Marcus