Re: Events for translators

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org> wrote:
Hello all,

Hi,

One of the ideas is a "Translation race" event. Basically various people get
together to learn how to translate and translate some module with some of
you.

I organized [such an event in
2014](https://wiki.gnome.org/Hackfests/LeTranslathon2014). It was on a
weekend at the Mozilla office space in Paris and it was very
successful. The wiki page addresses many of your questions.

- What items would be interesting for you? (e.g. stickers, some cake,
snacks,....)

The two most important items are a venue (which can usually be
provided for free or sponsored by a third party) and transportation
for the experienced contributors to ensure they will be able to come
and guide the other attendees. After that, I’d invest in food, not
swag.

- How many people could a single organiser handle in a comfortable way?

I’d say around 5 newcomers per experienced translator.

- Do you think "translated one module per person" is doable in that time and
a good way to measure the success of the event? If not, what do you propose
as a measurement of success of the event?

There is a table on the wiki page. Coordinator satisfaction can depend
on a number of criteria and should be defined on a per event basis.

- Coordinators bureocracy is difficult and will delay the process

If people create their accounts together at the beginning of the event
while the organizer walks them through the steps, it should take about
10 minutes before someone is able to contribute. I don’t think it’s
any more difficult or longer than the process of getting your first
patch ready for review.

- Each team has its own guidelines

Yes and I expect this to remain the case. Translation teams have to
integrate in the GNOME community, but they also have to take the
language community into account. The French team for GNOME
collaborates with the translators of LibreOffice, KDE, Ubuntu, Fedora…

Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director