Re: Events for translators

Hi!

This is a good idea, since translations is sometimes a forgotten side of the Project (at least for the Spanish team, don't know about other teams), and this initiative could be interesting for those who want collaborate with translation tasks.

Start translating a module is more or less easy... just set up a translation program, download the PO file and start translating (and reading previous translations to learn about terms, tags, etc). The main obstacle might be the burocracy around a translation team, since there are not standar ways to manage them. In the case of the Spanish team, we have some guidelines about our internal management which might be difficult to understand and follow in a first stage.

So, first of all, I would think about an standar way to manage the workflow of the event (send the translation, review it, comit into git, etc). This would imply to coordinate all team coordinators interested in the event.

About the measure of the success... it's difficult to say, since IMHO quality is better then quantity, so just translating one module, but without errors is better for me than translating 5 modules with typos os grammatical errors. This should be decided by team coordinators/proofreaders.

For this event, I would choose general, non-specific modules (GIMP for example should not be a good candidate, unless there is someone specialized on it). Again, team coordinators should choose the modules they think are more suitable for it, ow which modules need more attention.

In my case, I would like to participate/support this event for the Spanish people interested on it. Will it be possible to do it remotely?

My 2cents ;-)

Cheers!

Hello all,

Lately we have been trying to define what events GNOME can sponsor and how. You can read more in the wiki [0]

One of the ideas is a "Translation race" event. Basically various people get together to learn how to translate and translate some module with some of you.

However I need a little of help to figure out how that event could be. The questions I have are:
- How much time do you think it would take to set up, teach and translate a module?
- What items would be interesting for you? (e.g. stickers, some cake, snacks,....)
- How many people could a single organiser handle in a comfortable way?
- Do you think "translated one module per person" is doable in that time and a good way to measure the success of the event? If not, what do you propose as a measurement of success of the event?
- Do you have a canonical guide an orgnizer should follow and make the people follow? (similar to /Newcomers). Is https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/JoiningTranslation the one?
- Any other point we should take into account?