Re: GNOME Software Ratings

Hi Richard,

10.03.2016 09:52 Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:

Hi all,

In
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-software/commit/?id=b1c078d37f4f11cd6443ed283e09e9af6fa4c98d
(for master, *3-22* only) I've added quite a few strings for the
software age ratings scheme I'm working on. I'd really love some
feedback on these, especially if they are ambiguous in certain
languages, hard to translate or need context. This isn't urgent at
all, I know a lot of you will be busy with the 3.20.0 release work.
I'm happy to answer questions on list or off list. Thanks!

Richard.

Of course, the word "None" is ambiguous and by "ambiguous" I mean
"used multiple times in the application in multiple contexts which
may need different translations." This word is already used to mark
an app which does not belong to any category. Maybe it is sufficient
to use one common translation context of "None" for all rating categories
(that would be sufficient and preferable IMHO), maybe it needs a different
context for each rating category. As far as I can see it is used in the
following contexts:

violence-cartoon
violence-fantasy
violence-realistic
violence-bloodshed
violence-sexual
drugs-alcohol
drugs-narcotics
sex-nudity
sex-themes
language-profanity
language-humor
money-gambling
money-purchasing
social-chat
social-audio
social-contacts
social-info
social-location

Does any translator need a different translation of "None" in any of
these contexts?

Other remarks:

"… buying new content_rating or new levels"

is '_' here intentional, for a keyboard shortcut or needs to be here literally?

"Ability to share Twitter, Facebook or email…"

What about G+ and dozens other social networks? I think you can't list all
of them here and there's no reason to give an impression that it refers
to Facebook and Twitter only. What about a generic term like 'social network
accounts' optionally plus '(Twitter, Facebook etc.)' - as an example but
also emphasizing that it applies to other similar services, too.

I have also a doubt about "language-profanity" rating. I think that quoting
the obscene words even for an example may be considered a language profanity
already. Is GNOME Software going to be rated as "Strong or frequent use of
profanity"?

Best regards,

Rafal