Re: GNOMECAT and Damned Lies Integration.

I don't really get what GNOMECAT is supposed to do and what features you
are planning. Here are some thoughts from the top of my head - please
ignore naything that is not within the scope of what you are doing /
able to do in the time you have to work on this:

- Damned Lies now allows committers to submit to the repository, so the
big Git hurdle is gone. So, for me personally, Damned Lies already does
everything that I need. My language has a very small team though, so we
never have more than 1 person working on the same module, and we can
easily send eah other stuff manually. What other teams might find
beneficial though was if there were more tools for coperating. Mind that
some of these ideas might be too big for a single GSoc project.

- Some form of collaborative editor

- For each language, a global translation memory for all modules

- Fuzzy matches for the translation memory for all modules

- For each language, a global glossary that any translator can add to.

Of course, any of these features, except for the fuzzy matches could be
achieved by using the Transifex platform, which is free for Open Source
projects. I don't know if everybody would be comfortable with that
though for philsophical reasons - and pushing the data back to the
repository might be a problem.

03/05/2014 22:23, sgrìobh Gil Forcada:
Hi Marcos,

TL;DR; go for it!

Anything that eases the translators workflow is always welcome!

As for suggestions/criticism:
- don't try to fill the complete gap but instead go step by step[1]
- fix problems at the right level, i.e. make GNOMECAT be able to push
translations maybe is a bit too much, and Damned-Lies is already able to
push them, so instead of having to do some git magic, just upload the
file to Damned-Lies and order it to push the translation
- make it as easier as possible to test it while you develop: i.e. your
target audience is translators so the easier you make them to install
and try your application, the faster you will get feedback and users
will be more happier :)
- I could go here and ask for ponies, but first get the basic workflow
right and later we can improve it and add more on top of it
- as a personal nitpick: change the name please, as the Catalan
translation coordinator, whenever I see GNOMECAT I read "GNOME
Catalan" :D

It's so great to have you again as a GSOC!!

Cheers,
Gil

[1] So make small milestones that in themselves are already useful so
that if you do not reach the final goal, all the way leading to it is
still useful. Something like:
- allow to enter Damned-Lies credentials
- be able to pick a module to translate
- be able to submit to Damned-Lies a translation

El ds 03 de 05 de 2014 a les 20:25 +0200, en/na Marcos Chavarría
Teijeiro va escriure:
Hi all,

I'm Marcos Chavarría, the creator of GNOMECAT [1][2]. This application
has been created during last summer as part of GSoC program and It
should be finished this summer (I've got selected again :D).

I know that what I'm going to tell you here is some kind of castles in
the sky because the basic features of the app are not finished yet but
I pretend to present this idea as a project to apply as collaborating
student at Igalia [3].

I realize that the workflow for translator in GNOME is kind of
tedious. You have to go to the Damned Lies platform view what modules
are assigned to you, download the po file, use an external program to
translate it and then the file has to be uploaded using the Damned
Lies platform again. If you are reviewer or a committer it's even more
tiresome because you also have to deal with git (in fact Fran Dieguez
who is the Galician team coordinator has created some tools to make
this easier [4]).

My idea consists on integrate Damned Lies with GNOMECAT. So you will
be able to download your assigned modules directly from the program,
upload the files without opening damned lies website and even commit
the translations to the module repository easier.

I would like to ask both translators and Damned Lies developers that
are subscribed to this list, their opinion about this idea. Any idea,
critic or question is really welcome.

Best Regards,
Marcos Chavarría Teijeiro.

[1] https://github.com/chavaone/gnomecat