Re: Modules moved around

El dv 31 de 05 de 2013 a les 13:16 +0200, en/na Gabor Kelemen va
escriure:
Hi all!

Today I was looking at the 3.10 release set[1] and decided to do some
module shuffling (only on 3.10, 3.8 is exactly the same - or was not
intended to change anything there at least).

Thanks for bringing this topic up. Could you share your considerations
for these changes?

Sure see below:
- gnome-bluetooth and gnome-packagekit (moved from Core to Utils): when
I think about GNOME's Core modules I certainly don't think about
installing apps or connecting to bluetooth. Both are important, sure,
but not as having a session or a desktop shell or a greeter. And as the
name implies, a core is not meant to be alone, but still something
small.

- empathy, epiphany, totem and nautilus (moved from Utils to Apps):
plain and simple, I see them as full-blown apps (not like utility-like
apps like baobab or gnome-disk-utility for example)

- sushi and vino (moved from Utils to Backends): both, for me, fall into
the category of "plugins"/"backend configuration"/"settings", so not a
utility per-se but something that other apps rely on (hence backends)
given we don't have a category named "App helpers" or something better
worded, but I hope you get the idea.

- file-roller, gnome-clocks, gnome-color-manager, gnome-initial-setup,
gnome-power-manager (moved from Apps to Utils): just like I see empathy
as an app, I don't think about these modules as apps. I think about them
(mostly what in Utils) as transitory apps, something you use to reach
your goal, but not the app for your goal.
Say you want to upload the images you get from a mail, you open the mail
with evolution, you extract the tar.gz archive, you quickly browse the
images and finally you upload with epiphany the images to your blog: in
this text, for me I used two apps (evo and epiphany) and used two
utilities (file-roller and eog).

- rygel (moved from Apps to Backends): it doesn't have, at least that
I'm aware (prove me wrong please) any kind of UI, so by no means its an
app for me.

- mutter (moved from Backends to Core Libraries): ok, for this one I
don't have a really strong opinion about, but somehow, given how the
modules are currently split I would say that it fits better on Core
Libraries than in backends...

- folks and gnome-video-effects (moved from Extra Libraries to
Backends): both are powering/helping other apps, and to some that could
be a rough definition of "backend" :)

Also, I just ran my liedetector script with the following results:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/5719536/

Really curious about the "liedetector" what's that? Could you share it?

If I understand correctly it's a detector of modules that are missing or
non part of what we have in damned-lies and (just a guess) what's on
jhbuild release set? I think it would make a lot of sense to have it as
a django command in damned-lies and make it run like once per week/month
and send a mail to this mailing list about changes.

We need to fix the man-power on damned-lies though...

Seems like we have to move in a few modules:
bijiben
clutter-gtk // not entirely convinced the usefulness of translating
this, but whatever, it has a po directory
gnome-shell-extensions
gnome-weather
grilo
grilo-plugins
libgsf
libsecret
tracker

For bijiben and gnome-weather I'm not sure about their status (the same
could be said about gnome-music for example) when are they considered
part of "the release set"? Maybe we should send a mail on d-d-l asking
about the official/canonical place where to look what's in and what's
not in (not to be discriminatory on who's out, just to clarify as for
where do we must translate to still be considered and active and
supported language).

clutter-gtk I think is going to be deprecated, but that's just a thought
on top of my head, so I'm not sure it's worth adding (probably, again,
asking on d-d-l).

grilo, grilo-plugins and tracker (maybe even libgsf) probably are
runtime dependencies, so everything works if they are not there, but
something is shown if they are around, which I would say falls out of
"the release set" for me. Again, a d-d-l mail would help clarify their
status.

Finally libsecret for sure, good catch!

And remove these:
libcryptui
gnome-power-manager

libcryptui is getting replaced by libsecret or so, so no problem, but
why do you think gnome-power-manager should no longer be around? I'm
puzzled on that one.

Thanks a lot for taking care of this!

Cheers,
Gil

I'll try to apply these today.

Regards
Gabor Kelemen

Please take a look at the changes[2] and move them back if there's
strong opinion against some shuffling.

The changes are mostly (probably I will forget some):
- gnome-bluetooth: moved from Core to Utils
- gnome-packagekit: moved from Core to Utils

- empathy: moved from Utils to Apps
- epiphany: moved from Utils to Apps
- nautilus: moved from Utils to Apps
- sushi: moved from Utils to Backends
- totem: moved from Utils to Apps
- vino: moved from Utils to Backends

- file-roller: moved from Apps to Utils
- gnome-clocks: moved from Apps to Utils
- gnome-color-manager: moved from Apps to Utils
- gnome-initial-setup: moved from Apps to Utils
- gnome-power-manager: moved from Apps to Utils
- rygel: moved from Apps to Backends

- mutter: moved from Backends to Core Libraries

- folks: moved from Extra Libraries to Backends
- gnome-video-effects: moved from Extra Libraries to Backends

Seems quite a lot of changes, but I hope it keeps the groups a bit
saner, I would say that Utils (and probably Apps) need a split (and
probably also fro Backends).

On the other hand, Accessibility, Games and Development tools are quite
stable and set I would say.

Opinions, comments, tomatoes?

Cheers,

[1] https://l10n.gnome.org/languages/ca/gnome-3-10/ui/