Re: Repetitive strings in many modules

El dg 16 de 09 de 2012 a les 10:56 -0400, en/na Chris Leonard va
escriure:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Ask Hjorth Larsen <asklarsen gmail com> wrote:
> > Hi translators and i18n people
> >
> > I notice that the string "Quit" seems to have appeared in quite a few
> > modules.  In total, the msgids "Quit" or "_Quit" (i.e. matching
> > "^(_?)Quit$") are found 31 times, in these modules:
> >

> > Why not use a stock label for this kind of stuff?  There are also many
> > instances of About and _About which I don't recall from previous
> > releases.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ask
>

> Yes, Strings like this are a good reason to use an off-line PO editor
> with a good translation memory feature or an on-line tool like Pootle
> that has a glosssary/terminology project.  It would be a thought to
> crunch a glossary.po terminology project  for GNOME using
> poternimology from theTranslate Toolkit.  At the very least, people
> could download it to their local TM to help maintain consistency in
> translations of certain common terms.

Fully agree, another reason to make damned-lies be able to generate one
and use it while pre-translating the downloadable po files, so that you
will already see them fuzzy.

> The main problem (as I see it) is that GNOME is not a monolithic
> project.  It is a very large collection of independent projects that
> strive to be interoperable.  I don't know that carving strings like
> this out into a separate software package called when needed would
> ever really work for the developers.  They would simply introduce the
> strings they feel they need for their UI and not reference an external
> source for them.  It is far too great a "social engineering" problem.

Sure, social engineering, but if we can solve in our way, local TM,
damned-lies pre-translating... we will not need to ask developers to
update their code.

> As a simply technical matter it is much easier to address this issue
> by working with a local TM.
>
> I am entirely in favor of filing i18n bugs to promote common-sense
> string conventions when possible (Why have "Zoom in" and Zoom In" and
> 'ZOOM IN" if you can possibly agree on one string), but even then it
> is a matter of getting devs to agree on one convention.

That's another issue that I would really like to see happening, someone
stepping in and adding some cohesion/consistency to original strings. a
GWOP/GHOPC would be really useful here. Anyone stepping in to do
administrate it? :)

Cheers,