Re: Modules split proposal (yeah, another one, sorry)

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 4:39 AM, Gil Forcada <gforcada gnome org> wrote:

> I know I know, we have to tackle that point ... What I was trying to say
> was that instead of keeping in the same category the apps and its
> libraries (for completeness) if we split them in different categories,
> we allow the translators do their job for the most important things
> first, and later, once the main UI is completely translated they can
> move onto the libraries.
>
> Still, with this dependency declaration we can allow a translator to
> really translate everything that needs to have, say Nautilus, show all
> strings, no matter where they come from.

Yes, I really do like what you are trying to do.  I'm sorry for
beating the WebKitGTK+ drum incessantly, but it's importance stems
from the fact that web-browsing is one of the most common user
activities (and web-errors are common) and so the visibility of the
WebKitGTK+ strings is unusually high and will have an out-sized
impact on user perception of the L10n experience.

I very much like the idea of being able to declare dependencies.  Are
you thinking of maintaining this manually or through one of the
dependency checking mechanisms used by package install processes?
There would seem to be distinct advantages and shortcomings to both
approaches.

cjl