Re: Repetitive strings in many modules

El ds 22 de 09 de 2012 a les 12:02 +0200, en/na Kenneth Nielsen va
escriure:
> Den 17-09-2012 10:22, Alexandre Franke skrev:
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Piotr Drąg <piotrdrag gmail com> wrote:
> >> This is actually an effect of
> >> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/PortToGMenu goal. The new menus
> >> don't use stock GTK+ entries for some reason.
> >
> > Shouldn't we open a bug for that? Or maybe that's already been filed?
>
> I think the main point of the original post got lost a bit along the way.
>
> We already have a collection of stock menu (including strings) and
> menubar items in GTK+ to prevent introducing (and translating) these
> ~100[1] strings again and again, so the question is, why is it not being
> used. I can see a few different options here.
>
> 1) Developers don't like using them, because it puts a part of their
> program out of their control or something like that (unlikely I would
> say as GNOME is already built up around a set of shared libs).
> SOLUTION: Not much we can do about that unless the use of them made a
> priority by including them in a GNOME style guide or made a gnome goal
> or something like that.
>
> 2) Developers aren't aware of them or forget about them in the heat of
> writing brilliant code.
> SOLUTION: In that case we (translators) should then be making bugs for
> each module individually.
>
> 3) Developers forgot about them in the transition to GMenu. Unlikely I
> would say, that if they already used them that they wouldn't use them
> again if it was possible.
> SOLUTION: In any case the solution is the same as above
>
> 3) A bug in GMenu (or elsewhere) that prevents the use of them.
> SOLUTION: So to answer Piotr, yes, I think we should definitely file a
> bug about it. Then we just need to make sure that GMenu is the right
> place to file it.
>
> 4) Some technically unsolvable issue with GMenu that prevents using them.
> "SOLUTION": Moping :(
>
> So if there anyone here that can shed some light on which one of them is
> the right explanation?
>
> Regards Kenneth
>
> [1] http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/2.24/gtk-Stock-Items.html

Sorry, that's for bringing back the topic where it started :)

I would guess that the first and safest approach would be to ask on
d-d-l about it. Why does GMenu doesn't have this kind of options
built-in etc..

Which will also solve the mnemonics thing too btw.

Gil Forcada

[ca] guifi.net - una xarxa lliure que no para de créixer
bloc: http://gil.badall.net
planet: http://planet.guifi.net