Using vertimus/damned lies for non-gnome translation

Hi all,

I'm not sure this is the best place to post this, please direct me to
the correct place if it isn't.

After trying to attract new contributors for the gnome 3.2 and kde 4.8
releases, using damned lies for the former and plain email for the
latter. It was way easier for us to track contributions on gnome, and we
really liked the workflow interface on damned lies, and we'd like to be
able to use the same workflow for kde (and perhaps other projects in the
future).

ISTR that the workflow management was based on vertimus, a tool that was
used by the French translation team. Searching for that, I found this
page https://launchpad.net/vertimus with a big warning that the software
is unmaintained and has been merged into damned lies.

That sounds nice, but not for my use case. I nevertheless tried to see
if it is possible to use only the vertimus app rather than the full site
and it seems to be impossible as it relies on many things from the rest
of damned lies. So I tried to get the latest released standalone version
(written in PHP) to try it on my machine.

It seems to work OK (we may need to redo the theme to make it like the
rest of the site), but I'd like to get opinions on using it. e.g. What
version to use? What's the state of the code there? Were there
improvements or bug fixes over the latest released version? (I couldn't
clone the bzr repository).

And of course any comments on the way other teams are doing for other
projects are welcome.

TIA,
Abderrahim