Re: PO files headers and DL

>> [: Daniel Mustieles García :]
>> I've been talking with with Claude about the possibility to add a header
>> (maybe «X-Location»?) to PO files (both GUI and doc ones) containing the
>> folder in which the PO file is located [...]
>
> [: Kenneth Nielsen :]
> [...]
> On another subject remember that it is also the plan to at some point make
> it possible to commit translations directly from damned lies, in which
> case this problem will become a lot smaller, so that probably makes it
> even less likely that we should solve it by imposing location rules on a
> lot of projects.

This topic is a recurring motif, e.g:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-utils/2008-11/msg00030.html

which I argued to go beyond the needs of a particular translation project
and therefore deserve full-fledged support from xgettext/msgmerge:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=6099532

Failing that, I would make translation-side automatization (Damned Lies in
this case) introduce an X-Source-Root custom header field, with some sort of
URL to which the source references in the PO file are relative to. Where
possible, this would be a web-accessible URL, for example:

This would enable any kind of scripting which needs to connect to the
location of the sources while working on an isolated, out-of-tree PO file.
This includes automatic committing desired by Daniel, but it does not stop
there. For example, a PO editor could use it to show source on demand for a
given message, with a single shortcut, reliably and without any preparation.
Hence it would be useful regardless of whether translation-side
automatization can automatically commit or not; and it would not impose any
restrictions on source trees of particular projects.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)