Re: Nautilus UI freeze break request

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:

> If you get directions from a hosting service to upload files
> with FTP/SFTP/SCP/etc, they're usually for a dedicated client
> or using the command line. In either case, they don't usually
> give a complete URL.
>
> I use this feature to connect to master.gnome.org. I don't
> know of a single page that gives me an ssh:// URL that I can
> copy and paste.

Do you have any particular example of a hosting service for which this is true?
I don't think master.gnome.org is a good example here, since the
amount of knowledge you need in order to obtain an account on that
machine is vastly greater than knowing how to type a ssh:// URL.

> At any rate, people probably aren't going to click Help when
> they have a URL and know what to do. Our job is to provide
> the information for the people who need it.

I agree, but I also think optimizing the UI for the case where we can
be useful with both general online documentation (of the kind "use
ftp://blah.foo as URL to connect to this hosting service/NAS") and
previous knowledge of the user of how this is implemented in other
equivalent interfaces is a worthwhile goal in this regard.

For people that don't know how to deal with an URL, and are given just
an address and a generic description of the protocol, probably having
a mapping table between popular variations of names for a given
protocol and the URI scheme to use in the dialog would be nice.

Thanks,
Cosimo