Re: Mistakes in doc translations

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 13:34 +0200, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> > 4) Due to workflow, we don't have a baseline commit to reference.
> > [...]
> > (4) is a serious problem. git is really smart, and has a number of merge
> > strategies that I can only describe as "magic". But they don't work if you
> > bypass version control.
>
> For this I have no practical idea how to solve. Other than locking workflow
> being the norm, translators are frequently pointed to web-based solutions
> instead of version control (so that they don't get scared off by the
> process). Then, it is not unusual for regular translators not to have commit
> access, which would extremely odd for regular programmers (or documenters,
> right?).

The beauty of git is that everybody can commit, even if they can't
push their changes to git.gnome.org. We start docs people off using
git very early. We have them commit their changes as normal and send
git patches to somebody with an account on gnome.org.

I know learning version control first is a hurdle (and git especially
so), but I also think it's a valuable skill that will save you time
and again going forward. And with distributed version control, we're
no longer tied to who has an account where to get those benefits.

--
Shaun