Re: New team for English Pig Latin epl

Le jeudi 13 octobre 2011 à 02:44 -0400, Chris Leonard a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
>         Hi,
>
>         On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 19:51 +0200, Alexander Jansen wrote:
>         > English Pig Latin     Hngliseus Gipus Natilus         epl
>

>         Is there a glibc locale for this, or have you applied for one
>         in
>         http://sources.redhat.com/bugzilla ?
>
> Probably needs to get it accepted as an ISO-639 code first,
>
> http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/iso639-2form.php
>
> let me know how that goes. . .

Being a "language game", I somehow doubt that it will be accepted by
glibc or iso.

>         For those that had no idea either:
>         https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Pig_Latin
>

> As a native speaker, I think the request must for some variant like
> epl_NO because in epl_US, the language name would be "ig-Pay atin-Lay"
> and not "Gipus Natilus".

I must admit I'm a bit hesitant about giving resources to those sort of
languages. Of course, nothing prevent anyone from creating the necessary
files for such languages, and then package them for extra installations
on any distro.
But we have to keep in mind that any new language do add costs globally:
setup time on infrastructure level, bandwith time for everyone who
checkout sources, storage cost, more longer language dropdowns, etc.
etc. For any real language, I'm convinced it's always worth the cost,
but not so for languages that have no real native speakers.
Don't we have enough languages on earth to have to add more?

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm always open to any counter-arguments :-)

Claude
--
www.2xlibre.net