Re: Module reorganisation for GNOME 3

Hi!

> gconf, metacity, gnome-panel and notification-daemon are used for the
> so-called fallback mode (when your hardware doesn't support 3D
> acceleration).

Small correction: gconf is still in because not all modules have been
ported to gsettings, yet. Most important here is evolution. So you will
need it in the normal "3D" mode, too. But it should be gone by 3.2 at
least for the core modules.

> gconf replacement is dconf, which currently doesn't offer translatable
> strings.

dconf is just a backend for gsettings (others are: keyfiles, windows
registry, gconf for testing). GSettings has schema files that can
contain translations and those are handled correctly . Currently there
is no frontend to display the descriptions saved in the schema file and
as such also the translations are not displayed. That might (read: is
likely to) change in the future.

Johannes