Re: New team for mexican spanish (es_MX)

2011/12/7 Jorge González <aloriel gmail com>:
> Dear Israel,
>
> Have you noticed that there is a team for Neutral Spanish (es) and
> that in case you really wanted to start a new team, instead of
> collaborate with the current one, where people from all Spanish
> speaking countries collaborate, you don't have to start from the
> beginning? It would be much easier for you to take the Neutral Spanish
> base, and work with it modifying whatever you need to transform it
> into Spanish from Mexico.
>
> My 2 cents.

At Sugar Labs /  OLPC we have a large Spanish language user base
across a number of countries and the consensus choice among our
customers has been to *not* split into country-specific variants of
Spanish.

I am curious what words you have identified that you would translate
differently?  Computer software UI strings are not generally that rich
in the sorts of cultural and cuisine terms that are a frequent source
of regional variation in many languages (including Spanish).

I firmly believe in linguistic self-determination, but I am not sure
how different the translations of computer terms would be between es
and es-MX, although I would be very interested in learning more.

cjl