Re: Reduced POT files

Op Wo, 2011-08-17 om 15:51 -0400 skryf Chris Leonard:
> Claude,
>
> Can I get a pointer to the tricks used to produce "reduced" PO files
> for some packages?
>
> I'd like to help the Gnash guys do the same and would like to learn
> how it's done in Damned Lies.

Hi Chris

I wrote a bit on my blog about it when Claude and I discussed it in
Kenya:
http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/better-lies-about-gnome-localisation

On Damned Lies most of the modules currently just have their GConf
strings stripped out, as far as I know. A few others have custom scripts
(like the weather locations), but Claude will know more details here if
you are interested.

Basically it involves a few cycles of trial, error, measurement and
testing using pogrep (and possibly podebug) from the Translate Toolkit.
Here is an example of what I did with VLC:
http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/trimming-vlc-translation

Keep well
Friedel

--