help with display of hebrew chr's in Gcompris

Hi,
I'm here by requesting your help on this long  fight to display Hebrew chr's in Gcompris. ( http://gcompris.net )

The translation file is ok and some part of Gcompris displays the hebrew text ok but other parts (new code) only displays the unicode code number on screen instead of displaying the hebrew text. If I take a look at the table of unicode UTF-8 the displayed code is correct for the text, but the text is not displayed. I've talked with the main programmer of Gcompris (Bruno) and he says that he's coding the same way as before so it's a gtk problem.

the problem is easy to replicate as you ocan run the gcompris application with the variable lang=he and you see right away the problem. on the opening screen it displays the unicode numbers not the text.

Also The problem is platform independent (linux or win (xp/7) ) they all have the problem.

I asked what font Gcompris was using to display the text and Bruno said that he is not hard coding any fonts in the application,that it's GTK who uses the system fonts.

Help please as some parts of this fine application are unusable due to the fact that no text is displayed.

Thanks

Jorge