Re: New module proposal: Clutter core

2010/10/4 Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de>:
> Hi!
>
>> Clutter is still hosted on a separate server because the Clutter Project
>> wants to be an umbrella for a set of projects, like language bindings,
>> toolkits, and applications that may or may not be related to the GNOME
>> Project. we're fairly liberal with giving people access to the
>> repository, and we have infrastructure in place for user repositories
>> for contributors. the Bugzilla instance is still in place because
>> Clutter is used in non-GNOME projects that might need restricted access.
>
> I want to raise the point again, that the separate git server is painful
> for translators which is the main reason that I dislike it. (see
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2010-July/msg00075.html and
> follow ups)
>
> Basically the point is that if we allow core modules to be hosted
> elsewhere we can shut down the GNOME Translation Project as it exists now
> completely because our whole quality work with coordinators and reviewers
> will become obsolete. GNOME has a very long and good tradition of
> high-level and consistent translations which would get lost.
>
> The point is not that important for clutter which probably doesn't contain
> many user visible strings but if we they yes here it will be difficult to
> say no with other modules.
>
> Needless to say that I of course in general like the idea of having
> clutter as a core module.
>
> Regards,
> Johannes

I agree with Johannes, especially about the quality. As an easy fix
for this, couldn't we just keep the translations in a git.gnome.org
module? It would not allow us to run intltool-udpate and all that, but
that would probably be ok as long and the maintainers would fetch new
translations and update translation files with new strings regularly.

Regards Kenneth