Re: Commit gettext .po files without extra comments

Hi,

El dg 06 de 06 de 2010 a les 20:07 +0200, en/na Ulrik Sverdrup va
escriure:
> 2010/6/6 Petr Kovar <pmkovar gnome org>:
> > Hi Ulrik!
> >
> > Ulrik Sverdrup <ulrik sverdrup gmail com>, Fri, 4 Jun 2010 23:18:28 +0200:
> >
> > (...)
> >
> >> I have also sent this email to gnome-i18n because I want your feedback
> >> on this proposal. Summary: Filename+line comments are still available
> >> when updating the .po file, but not shown in diffs or stored in the
> >> repository history. All translators have to opt-in.
> >
> > So if I'm not missing something, this l10n work flow is not to be required
> > from translators and is completely optional, right?
>
> Exactly.
>
> I realize that gnome translators absolutely don't want different
> settings / practices for different modules, so this whole proposal is
> a bit a lost case for me, if it doesn't get many people interested.
>

> > Anyway, I'd like to note that Vertimus running on l10n.gnome.org provides
> > us already with quite a comfort diff utility that tries to ignore the
> > mentioned noise with comment line changes (because it updates both the
> > committed and uploaded translation catalog against the current
> > auto-generated POT file).
>
> Yes, this is because translations are reviewed before they enter the
> repository. I'm not mainly a translator, but a module maintainer, so
> I'd like to see this implemented so that diffs look much better when
> the changes have actually entered the repository.

When vertimus got git support to commit translations it would be really
nice to create a pre-import with the same file on the git repository
with updated lines and then the newer translation, so you would be able
to git diff those two commits to see the real changes.

My 5 cents from my whislist :)

Cheers,