Re: translating gnome with pootle

Op Ma, 2010-02-15 om 16:54 +0800 skryf Umarzuki Mochlis:
> I needed guidance on setting up pootle as a means of translating gnome
> to malay language so everybody can translate gnome online, anywhere as
> long as there is internet access.
>

> The question is:
> Is this method is the best for what I'm trying to achieve? If yes, how
> I setup one with a web hosting provider?

Hallo

You won't be the first one to try to do this. You can have a look at the
Pootle server used by the Belarusian team:

http://gnome.mova.org/pootle/

They have GNOME and a few other things on there.  I guess Ihar can share
some of his experiences.

There are many teams using Pootle for many projects. You can have a look
here:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/live_servers

Some reasons why I think this might be interesting for a team like this:

 - It makes it easier for newcomers to take part
 - People can contribute from anywhere
 - Organise your team by choosing who can suggest / translate directly
 - Terminology help make it easier to use correct terminology
 - Quality checks improves quality. Human review can focus on language
 - People can still translate offline if they want to (more choices)

On Debian you can easily install Pootle with
  apt-get install pootle
It can also run directly from the extracted files.  For a hosting
provider, mod_wsgi is probably the most important requirement.

You definitely want to make sure you get the newest version (2.0.x), and
configure it for optimal performance.  You can get help on IRC at
#pootle on irc.freenode.net and the Pootle mailing list.  Let me know
how things go for you and if you need any further help.

Keep well
Friedel

--
Recently on my blog: