Problem with language priority list

Dear list, moin Arne,

I still have the problem, that when I choose "Low German (nds)" in the language-selector-list, I get a mix out of Low German, German and English.
I did not want to merge normal German and Low German strings in the .po-files to be sure to exclude an English fallback, because that would  change the real state of translation of these files in Vertimus. So I tried to fix this by setting a priority-list via the LANG- and LANGUAGE variables in /etc/environment and /etc/default/locale, as you can see in the screenshots, but this didnt work - I still get a mix of 3 languages on my desktop.

Arne mentioned, that the language-selector also just edits these 2 files, but then I ask myself, from where my system takes the english strings and where to change this. I also do not see a GUI to set a priority-list using Karmic with all available Updates! Or might it be the case, that the language-selector just take effect on GNOME-internal Software, excluding some individual strings in some places? (e.g. mainmenu, context-menu, etc.?)

So I hope anyone has an idea, what to do, because I guess I wont be the only one out there to get this unfortunately mix! It would be much more comfortable for all users to get a mix of just German (de) and Low German (nds) strings.

Kind regards,
Nils

PNG image

PNG image