help with git push of single branch

Hallo

Now it seems it is my turn to ask for help with git. What I did is the
following, I have a local clone of gtk+ with two branches from the
last time I had to commit a translation, master and gtk-2-16. Now I
had to commit a new translation to master, but do nothing with the
gtk-2-16 branch. So I did:

git checkout master
git pull --rebase
copy translation in and run intltool-update
git commit da.po -m "Updated Danish translation" --author "..Left out.."
git status (looked good)
git push

but upon this last command I got the following error output:
Counting objects: 7, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (4/4), done.
Writing objects: 100% (4/4), 10.43 KiB, done.
Total 4 (delta 3), reused 0 (delta 0)
To ssh://kennethn git gnome org/git/gtk+
   64b8f4e..d2cd949  master -> master
 ! [rejected]        gtk-2-16 -> gtk-2-16 (non-fast forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://kennethn git gnome org/git/gtk+'

and return code 1, which will make my commit script complain. Now I
think I understand why it complains, it is probably because the
gtk-2-16 branch is behind the server one, and so even though I don't
want to commit anything to it, it still complains. Now my question is,
can I limit the push command to a single branch? Something like

git push master

I have searched a little on the internet, but most places it seems
that the guides say that you need more arguments after push to do
this, but I don't understand which or why. I hope someone can help.

Regards Kenneth Nielsen