Re: Question about git

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Simos Xenitellis
<simos lists googlemail com> wrote:

> These files were last modified in 2007.
> When you type 'git log thumbnailer/evince-thumbnailer-ps.schemas.in'
> you get
> Date:   Sun Apr 8 15:34:43 2007 +0000
>
> It is unclear why they would be modified in your case.

well. one of the several mysteries of the world!
-------------------------

>> drtv narayana:~/git/evince/po$ git reset --hard HEAD^
>> HEAD is now at f9b57c7 [printing] Fixes crash found by tests
>
> This resets your working copy and takes away the last commit in the process.
> It is better just to try 'git reset --hard'.
> You would use 'git reset --hard HEAD^' if you know that your latest
> commit (which you did yourself and has not been pushed yet to
> git.gnome.org) needs to be taken away.

yes, now that you mention it i went back to read and it is so. mistake is mine
---------------

> This file should be added to '.gitignore' because Git should not track it.
> In any case, you can ignore the file as it is untracked.
> I wonder if the maintainer would be OK to add this to .gitignore
> directly (without going to bugzilla, etc).

ok, i will ignore.
---------------
>> drtv narayana:~/git/evince/po$ intltool-update ta
>> ............................................. done.
>> 299 translated messages, 11 fuzzy translations, 15 untranslated messages.

Looks like i shd have run git pull --rebase again, right?

>> drtv narayana:~/git/evince/po$
>>
>> ------------
>>
>> so the translations done last time are not counted though in damned
>> lies it has been.
>> so from where is this file updated?
>> it says 299 strings not 318 as shown in da.lies
>>
>> if git reset --hard HEAD^""was a wrong command here, then what would
>> be when it refuses to pull?
>
> With 'git reset --hard HEAD^' you removed a commit, and most probably
> the commit you did with the translation.
> Tell me if http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/GitHowTo is
> unclear with the instructions when trying to fix the local git
> repository.

yes, this refusing to pull rebase seems to have been added since i
read last. that is in right direction.
question is why does it refuse to rebase when i know the file in the
repository has changed?
or should i be using intltool-update ta command?

regards
tv