Re: Multiple authors for a committed translation file?

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Og Maciel <ogmaciel gnome org> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> A lot of times we have a translator and a reviewer working together on
> the translation of a package. When we had ChangeLogs I used to include
> a line stating who translated and who reviewed it. With Git, we can
> now use --author to indicate on whose behalf you're committing the
> file, but can you have multiple authors (i.e. names and emails) in
> there?

In Git it is still possible to have the same multi-line changelog material.

First of all, if you try

git commit -m "Updated Brazilian Portuguese translation" --author "A B
<a gnome org>" --author "C D <c gnome org>"

then the commit will take the last '--author' only. Therefore, use up
to one '--author' parameters.

In Git you can have one-line commit messages (by policy, up to 72 characters)
or you can have one-line plus verbose description.
For the first case you can use the '-m' parameter as shown above.

In order to have longer commit messages, use the command

git commit --author "C D <c gnome org>"

which will open a text editor (such as vim) and ask you to write the
commit message.

Write something like

=============================== IGNORE THIS LINE
Updated Brazilian Portuguese translation

Updated Brazilian Portuguese translation by C D
and reviewed by A B.

The part «Updated Brazilian Portuguese translation by C D and reviewed by A B.»
corresponds to the traditional commit messages from ChangeLog files.
When the maintainer creates a source tarball of the module, it
autogenerates from these Git commits messages a ChangeLog file that is
placed in the tarball.

Simos