Re: inserting "underlined" characters

Ah, Thanks for the reply, I pretty much stumbled upon the same solution before I saw your email. :)

picFanen Ahua
Random quote: Lucy: Dance, dance, dance. That is all you ever do. Can't you be serious for once? Snoopy: She is right! I think I had better think of the more important things in life! (pause) Tomorrow!!

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 13:52 +0000, Simos wrote:
2009/2/12 Fanen Ahua <afanen01 gmail com>:
> If I wanted to insert these characters into a gnome editor application, say
> in an evolution email, you know how I can do that? I have the "compose" key
> enabled, and can insert characters like ô without trouble.

The Compose key will not help you here because it does not have the
full range of Latin characters with macro below (has nine only).

You can use Ctrl+Shift+u as in
1. Type, for example, G
2. Press Ctrl+Shift+u
3. Type 332, then press Spacebar
4. You get G̲

You can also edit your current keyboard layout so that it outputs
0x0331/0x0332.
Currently, only us(olpc) has that character, and is under AltGr+{.

Between 0x0331 and 0x0332, I think it's better for your work to choose
the latter because it is flatter.

with 0x0331 G̱ṈO̱M̱E̱
with 0x0332 G̲N̲O̲M̲E̲

To be able to view these characters, you need to view the text in a
window that has advanced text layout (for example, a GTK+ application
that uses Pango). You should expect that for some characters, the
macron will not be positioned perfectly under the letter.

Regardless of the above, I think that in your case, you should also
consider typing those e-mails as HTML e-mails, and using Underline for
the specific characters. To use 0x030[12] would be more of a hack, or
test-casing the text layout engines of your e-mail recipients.

Simos