Re: Application names

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Frederic Peters<fpeters gnome org> wrote:

>  - If Name is just the application name, leave it alone
>  - If there is no GenericName, leave it alone
>  - If Name == GenericName: remove GenericName
>  - If Name embeds both the application name and the generic name
>   - Add X-FullName, with what was in Name
>   - Set Name to the application name only

This sounds reasonable; what we should do is make a list of the
.desktop files which had Name=FullName, and get a tracker bug for
migrating them.

Also, from the code perspective, we need to land support for reading
the key.  There's two parts to this; gnome-menus and gio.  There's an
outstanding gnome-panel patch which needs to be ported to gnome-menus,
and we also need to reimplement it for gio.  And that patch needs to
be updated to take advantage of X-FullName if available.