Re: Brasero string freeze break

Le vendredi 31 juillet 2009 à 12:03 -0500, Shaun McCance a écrit :
On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 16:50 +0200, Marcel Telka wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 03:01:58PM +0200, Philippe Rouquier wrote:
> > And instead of
> > "Dvd+rw-format erases and formats DVD+/-R(W)"
> > I put
> > "Dvd+rw-format blanks and formats DVD+/-R(W)"
>
> AFAIK, dvd+rw-format is name of a command. It should be written with
> lowercase d. Otherwise it won't work:
>
> $ dvd+rw-format
> * BD/DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro fy chalmers se>, version 7.1.
> - usage: dvd+rw-format [-force[=full]] [-lead-out|-blank[=full]]
>          [-ssa[=none|default|max|XXXm]] /dev/dvd
> $ Dvd+rw-format
> bash: Dvd+rw-format: command not found
> $

In which case, please avoid starting a sentence with it.

"The dvd+rw-format command blanks and formats DVD+/-R(W)"

And that feels very odd, using "DVD+/-R(W)" as an object.

"The dvd+rw-format command blanks and formats a DVD+/-R(W) disc"

But then, "DVD+/-R(W)" isn't really a format.  It's a geeky
way of describing multiple formats in one strings of letters
and punctuation.

Where is this string used?  Can we help the user better?
Is there a reason we're referring the user to a shell
command anyway?  Doesn't Brasero manage everything in
the interface?
This string is the description of what the plugin can be used for. This plugin belongs to the core of brasero plugins and therefore is not configurable (it doesn't appear in the plugin dialog and cannot be deactivated from the GUI). That's why it's very unlikely the user sees the string. That said, things change and it's possible that in a near future the plugin will appear in the list (though you still cannot deactivate it); it was the reason why I chose to have a description for every plugin.

>From all the comments that were made about this string, I gather something like
"The dvd+rw-format command blanks and formats rewritable DVDs"
would be more appropriate to an native English speaker. What do you think?
If that sounds better, I'd fix other plugin descriptions.

Thanks

Philippe