Re: Moving GLib and GTK+ to git

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 02:28 +0200, Philipp wrote:
> </lurk>
>
> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> > Just an update on my plan to possibly rebase the gtk+ repo: not going to
> > happen.  What we have now is a good compromise between keeping all
> > history in the most correct form and how much work we want to put into
> > it.  Again, no data is lost, we just have a few tags with some extra
> > files in them.
> How about deleting the broken tags from the git repos and keeping a
> little note somewhere buried deep in the docs/ dirs. Someone who cares
> about digging through history (like me) will then know to hit the
> historical CVS / SVN repositories for these specific missing tags.
>
> Its not like someone is going to re-roll tarballs from these tags ever
> again (or at least the chance is ~ ɛ).

I don't see a good reason to delete the tags.  They take virtually no
storage, and are mostly accurate except for the extra files.  Last but
not least, they're a great help when browsing through history since most
repo viewers will annotate commits with the tag or branch if one or more
exists (for example, the GTK_2_16_0 tag on this page:
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gtk+/log/?ofs=50)

cheers,
Kristian