Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 1:34 AM, Petr Kovar <pmkovar gnome org> wrote:
> "Theppitak Karoonboonyanan" <thep linux thai net>, Sat, 1 Nov 2008 14:00:06
> +0700:
>
>> Let me add another difference between the direct logo localization
>> and the icon theming methods.
>>
>> Many Thai users don't like to use Thai translation. This is a popular
>> taste, despite how much translation effort and quality assurance has
>> been done. And that's why I put lower priority on translation than
>> infrastructure development. (I joined the team after having done enough
>> progress on GTK+, Pango, etc.)
>>
>> And by this practice, the logo localization will have limited effect,
>> while theming still allows Thai people who choose English locale to change
>> the logo.
>>
>> In summary, I'd propose icon theming + GNOME recognition of the
>> secondary logo.
>
> Let me ask you, those Thai people with such a non-Thai-locale taste likely
> have a better understanding of English or Western culture, right? (At least
> that's what I suppose.) So the foot logo shouldn't be a big problem for
> them then? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Nope.The taste is popular just because software are badly translated
in general. And people feel more happy with original English terms
than guessing the translators' whim on choosing inconsistent
translated terms. Many are full with typos or misinterpretations, for
example. Kind of bad impression. And that habit is not changed when
they use GNOME, despite our heavy QA.

There is nothing to do with English skill nor familiarity with Western
cultures.

I hope our QA can gradually change their habit in the future, though.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/