Re: Gimp traslations

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 4:39 AM, Khoem Sokhem <khoemsokhem khmeros info> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I just got openSUSE 11.0 box yesterday and Installed in my pc, Gimp one of my
> translated applications in openSUSE. but unfortunately when I test beta
> release of openSUSE 11.0 I got Gimp in Khmer but after I installed openSUSE
> 11.0 GM realease I got Gimp in English.
> What is the problem with this?

This looks like a distribution issue. Does openSUSE support "language packs";
If so, do you have the Khmer language pack installed?

If you are OK to use the command line, you can use the following
commands to see whether GIMP tries to open the Khmer translations:

1. Open a terminal window
2. Type "locale" to verify that your locale is kh.
3. Run   strace -o /tmp/detailed_run.txt  gimp
You may need to install the "strace" package.
4. Then, read the /tmp/detailed_run.txt file and see if the program is
trying to find Khmer translations.
You can also do that with the command

grep locale /tmp/detailed_run.txt

For me (locale: el), I get lines that look like

open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/el.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/gimp20-script-fu.mo",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/el.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/gimp20-script-fu.mo",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/el/LC_MESSAGES/gimp20-script-fu.mo",
O_RDONLY) = 8

This shows that the translation message file gimp20-script-fu.mo is
actually found after several attempts.

If you would like some more technical help on the above process,
please ask again.

Simos