Re: Rethinking "Supported language"

Hi,

Here goes my ideas and proposition on this subject.

Generally I agree with the idea of the 50%/80% system. But i also
think that the current way of counting is not good enough. Not in the
sense of why do we count a certain module, but how to count it.

The motivation for my proposal are two modules: evolution and
libgweather-locations. libgweather-locations has a really really minor
influence on the experience of a user using a localized desktop, yet
it counts for 10% of the gnome desktop translation - this is absurd.
Evolution in contract to the previous is an important part of the
desktop experience (for all "normal"/developers/administrators/...
users). Evolution counts for 12% of the translations. But, is
Evolution more important then gnome-panel (1.5%), metacity+libwnck
(3%), nautilus (3%) or epiphany (2%) ?

This leads me to believe that instead of counting total strings we
should use weighted counting. The simplest weight could be uniformly
on all modules, say 'n' is the number of modules then for each module
we count 1/n * percent_of_module. This is fair enough so nobody
complains and yet it can be enhanced to give higher weight to more
important modules (where such a definition can be agreed upon).

Using the below formula: - Hebrew changes from 72% to 79%
                                        - Arabic changes from 98% to 96.8%
                                        - Dutch changes from 90% to 92%
                                        - French keeps on 99%
                                        - Catalan keeps on 97%