Re: GNOME translation mini-howto attemp

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan randomink org> wrote:
On 2/14/08, Peter Tuhársky <tuharsky misbb sk> wrote:

> Follow the Microsoft terminology in reasonable way
>
> Although You may not like the Microsoft, there are good reasons to make the
> translations consistent with their computing terminology:

Do they have a guidelines for translations put up someplace ? Just
asking because the points subsequent to the one above indicate that it
is more than your general observations (I could be wrong however)

There is one thing to be careful about.  Microsoft terminology is often used sloppily by end users.  That is not Microsoft's fault.  Be sure that you are using the correct term.  For example, the terms "folder" and "directory" are not synonyms.  Translators will recognize that the semantic fields of the two terms overlap.

One other issue is that many of us are translating into languages that Microsoft has not localized for.  There is no official Microsoft terminology for our languages.