Re: Little change in PolicyKit messages from gnome-panel

Il giorno lun, 28/01/2008 alle 19.20 +0000, Matthew Paul Thomas ha
scritto:
> Hi Luca
>
> On Jan 28, 2008, at 12:09 PM, Luca Ferretti wrote:
>
> > I've just committed little changes to messages from PolicyKit policies
> > for Clock applet:
> >
> >   - Configuring the hardware clock requires privileges.
> >   - Privileges are required to configure the hardware clock.
> >
> > This to match similar messages from PolicyKit package.

Sorry for the lag, I've missed this email :-|

> I know you're announcing this just as a courtesy, but ... I don't think
> the new string is an improvement, unfortunately. It's not really your
> fault, because you're following PolicyKit precedent, but really:
> "Privileges are required"? That makes no sense except to computer
> programmers. To non-programmer English speakers, privileges are things
> that can be granted, accorded, withdrawn, stripped, enjoyed, abused, or
> reserved, but never required.

Well, to be honest, the PolicyKit original strings are something like
"Authentication is required ...".

> More understandable ways of saying this would be:
> *   "To set the clock, you need to authenticate as an administrator."
> *   "To set the clock, you need to authenticate as a member of group
>      <whatever>."
>
> Where should I report the bug for fixing these messages in PolicyKit? I
> don't see a PolicyKit product or component in bugzilla.gnome.org.

PolicyKit bugs are tracked on http://bug.freedesktop.org

Adding David in CC...