Re: msgctxt (was Re: String changes in Evolution)

O Mar, 05-08-2008 ás 17:13 +0200, Petr Kovar escribiu:
> "Christian Rose" <menthos gnome org>, Tue, 5 Aug 2008 03:07:03 +0200:
>
> > (Edited the subject from
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2008-August/msg00036.html in
> > order to make it a little more obvious)
>
> At first, I didn't mean to continue in discussion, but there are still some
> open questions however.
>
> (...)
>
> > I'm personally all for suggesting the msgctxt migration as an official
> > GNOME goal for GNOME 2.26
> > (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/MsgctxtMigration). As Andre pointed
> > out, the behavior of the current Q_ macro in glib is error prone to
> > translators and causing a lot of problems and real bugs.
>
> Sure, again I think nobody's been objecting to the need of migration itself
> after all.
>
> > We cannot wait for a particular po editor to have support for msgctxt.
>
> Well honestly, I'd say we actually can, but perhaps we just don't want
> to. ;-)
>
> > There are plenty of tools and if one doesn't do the job there are
> > plenty of alternatives, including using a bare bones text editor if
> > necessary.
>
> Yeah, but using (or suggesting people to use) a plain text editor would be
> a last resort really.
>
> > The more important thing IMHO is the toolkits (glib, gettext,
> > intltool, pootle, translate toolkit, Damned Lies, Launchpad, etc). All
> > of these seem fine, however.
>
> If not, what is the qualitative difference between impossibility of using
> a gettext catalog editor, and impossibility of using a "toolkit" like pootle
> or translate toolkit? In both cases, user is forced to make a switch
> anyway. When doing so, one has to migrate his personal settings including
> appropriate translation memory files, one has to adapt to the new program's
> environment, behavior, features, etc. It's just not as simple as saying,
> "go and change your tool".
>
> And first and foremost, translators really should be aware of GNOME
> modules being migrated to msgctxt. For our Czech translators I'll make sure
> that they get notified in time, but who is going to warn people in the "l10n
> wild" that Poedit doesn't provide the context information (anymore)?
> Especially when everything is still just a goal proposal. Another
> error-prone l10n problem on the horizon? I hope not.
>
> (Also note that as far as I know, Poedit is the only GTK+ PO editor with a
> usable almost bug-free stable/development release for the time being.)
If the problem is Poedit why don't you file a bug on to include that
feature on poedit?
In gtranslator we already have that feature since months and I hope we
are going to release 2.0 with the new Gnome 2.24 release.

Regards.