Re: Strange abbreviation in Dasher

On 01/09/2007, at 11:22 PM, Tirumurti Vasudevan wrote:

On 9/1/07, Clytie Siddall <clytie riverland net au> wrote:

Yes, the "PPM" string I found in dasher was about printing speed, so
Pages Per Minute seemed the most likely explanation. However, it's a
popular acronym. ;)

the entire dasher application seems to be rather about fonts screen display etc.
i dont think it has anything to do with printing.
the relevant line in the file msgid 67:

#: ../Data/glade/dasher.compose.glade.h:67
#: ../Data/glade/dasher.direct.glade.h:57
#: ../Data/glade/dasher.fullscreen.glade.h:55
#: ../Data/glade/dasher.traditional.glade.h:71
#: ../Data/glade/dashermaemo.glade.h:30
#: ../Data/glade/dashermaemofullscreen.glade.h:27
msgid "Standard letter-based PPM"

can you think of anyway "pages per minute" applies here?

I think I was looking at a different string, but in any case, yes, that makes sense to me. Printing has a "letter" size, so to me, that says "Print based on the standard number of pages per minute with the letter size".

This certainly shows how people can interpret the same text differently. ;)