Re: Context in translations, Q_() and gettext

> As most GNOME packages use intltool to generate/update po files, do you
> know which minimal version of intltool is required to support/implement
> this feature?
>
> Current version on l10n.gnome.org is:
>  gettext 0.14.5
>  intltool 0.35.5

>From looking at FindPOTKeywords in intltool-update, it appears you can override
the keyword options that intltool-update passes to xgettext by setting
XGETTEXT_OPTIONS in po/Makevars or XGETTEXT_KEYWORDS in po/Makefile.in.in.

So, you should be able to switch to msgctxt by requiring gettext 0.15 and adding
XGETTEXT_KEYWORDS=--keyword=_ --keyword=N_ --keyword=Q_:1g --keyword=C_:1c,2
to po/Makefile.in.in

If the Gnome translators agree that conversion to msgctxt would be a good
thing, then this may make a good Gnome Goal.

As an aside, I believe that KDE4 is also going to use msgctxt in po files.

Matthias