Re: kB, MB or KiB, MiB

Sven Neumann skrev:

> Could you please point me to this discussion?

No, since I was just guessing.

> Might be more correct, but I don't think it would be more appropriate.
> While kB, MB and GB are common and well-known abbreviations, KiB, MiB,
> GiB and the like are not widely used and would confuse most users. I
> even had to look this up on Wikipedia because I don't think I've ever
> seen MiB and GiB being used anywhere.

You are correct, it's more correct but maybe not appropriate.
As I translator, I have started to notice that more and more
applications start to use this new convention. For the beginning I was a
bit negative but started to like it more and more. But yes, it might be
confusing for some people.

For more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1541
(as you can see, this is for recommended use)

--
Daniel Nylander (CISSP, GCUX, GCFA)
http://www.DanielNylander.se